Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Cutting Back

Four people living on one income can be hard to do, especially when I just realized today that a large chunk of our money a year goes to medical/dental insurance and taxes. WTF? Is that even legal? How do they get away with that?


Hopefully next year we'll get luckier with taxes since we (technically I) had a baby. Fingers crossed!
So we're brainstorming on ways to budget better. We already don't have cable t.v. We have antenna and get about 10 free channels, which is good because we don't watch that much television anyway. Hudson gets to watch his Qubo (a cartoon channel) I get my CBS (Monday nights and The Mentalist) and Jorge has been able to watch the entire World Cup thanks to the Spanish channel.
So today when we went to the grocery store we decided to get all off brand foods. Some of the names of them crack me up, instead of Triscuits we bought Woven Wheats, instead of Goldfish crackers, Cheddar Whales, instead of Nutri- Grain bars, Fruit and Grain, instead of Doritos, Nacho Cheese Chips. You get the idea. They pretty much taste the same and we saved $19 by buying the HEB brand-at least that's what our receipt told us.
We're also going to cancel our texting, so for those of you who text us you better get them in by tomorrow. I mean come on, with phones and internet is texting really necessary? I know I love it too, but that's a box of diapers. (with 2 kids in diapers we're am going to feel like we won the lottery when they get potty trained!) I didn't even have texting 10 years ago. I had a huge black version of Zack Morris' phone. That thing would barely fit in a purse.
So for those of you out there who know how to save an extra buck or two, pass it on. I'm going to go eat my Woven Wheats and call it a night.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You could consider a Target swimsuit for a $75 savings. :)

Amanda said...

Hey- I decided to check your blog out today- love it! Also a topic I can totally identify with. We are on one income as well. I check a few money saving blogs every couple of days (myfrugaladventures.com is my fave) - they have great tips! Also, I do the grocery game- you buy name brand items, when they are on sale and also pair that with a coupon. You get quality products for cheaper than name brand. I might not be staying home if it wasn't for that! (thegrocerygame.com) Hope this helps!

Post a Comment

Enter you comment here.