Thursday, June 3, 2010

The night before her arrival

On May 30th at about 8 p.m I started having contractions in my anus. It was a weird sharp pain that I had never experienced before (also a sign of labor I would later find out). Then at about 9:30 I was having "normal" contractions about 3 mins apart. I told Jorge that I wanted to try and wait it out at home because I didn't want to be stuck in triage for hours like I was with Hudson. So I called mom and dad about 10 p.m and they came to our house to watch Hudson.
Jorge and I left in pouring down rain with crazy traffic--I thought we would never get to the hospital-it was awful! By the time we arrived I had already dilated to 6 cm. The nurse said we could stay (duh). About 30 mins later they put me in my own room and I had already dilated to an 8-too late for that pain medicine that I had been longing for.
So there I lay screaming and crying, "I can't do this, it hurts so bad...throw a few naughty words in there too." I asked for an epidural but the nurse said I had to have gone through this bag of fluid first and that now I was 9 cm. Good grief, get her out of me. We were waiting on my gyno who wasn't on call that night, but she gave me a note saying they could call her when I was in active labor. So, there I waited and waited for her to arrive and then the anesthesiologist came and gave me an epidural-probably about 15 minutes before she actually came out-but it helped a little. ( I will never understand how women don't get them-HUGE difference in Hudson's labor and in Mia's).
So, Dr. Turner arrives I pushed for what seemed like 10 mins and "viola" out came Mia-this beautiful little girl with a full head of dark black hair who looked nothing like mommy or daddy or Hudson, she looked just like Mia.
Not having any pain medicine was amazing because the labor was so much shorter-but the pain was oh so much worse.
Would I do it all over again, you betcha. Having a child is the most amazing thing any woman can ever do, in my opinion.

2 comments:

tms said...

so sweet! i love the honesty Shazzy... i'm with you on the pain in the anus stuff. love it! can't wait to see more posts! blog header looks great by the way Jorge!

Unknown said...

Lovely story and beautiful little girl, but you lost Bill at "anus" - Leslie

Post a Comment

Enter you comment here.