Thursday, July 1, 2010

Breast is the best?

As soon as your baby is born you have a dozen people coming in and out of your hospital room encouraging you to breast feed. Some of them even touch and squeeze your breast while trying to get it in your baby's mouth (we'll call my nurse Ms. Tuna because that is what her breath smelled like as she stood an inch from my face-gross!). I also visited with a lactation lady who still breast fed her 48 month old son, yes that's right FOUR YEAR OLD son. Yikes! That's about 3 years too long people!
I do agree with these intrusive people to some extent. Breast fed babies don't get sick as often, they have a better immune system, it's FREE (hey that formula cost 20 something dollars a box. It also helps mom's uterus to shrink back to size quicker...I could go on and on.
BUT-it also enables mom to get up for every feeding. I haven't introduced the bottle to Mia yet because she's only 4 weeks old and she latches on so well and I am afraid I will mess that up by introducing the bottle (call me crazy-but she nurses SO much better than Hudson did). Plus I am going back to work and everything I have pumped is being stored in the freezer for my departure to my 9 hour days back at Humble High. So I feed her every feeding and I love it! Don't get me wrong. The closeness that only her and I can share, watching her nuzzle my breast and cuddle up with me when she's done. But I miss sleep!! Even if Jorge did give her a bottle and let me sleep I would still need to pump to keep up my supply, wouldn't I? So I figure I might as well be the one up with her.
I also can't "tie one on" like I have been wanting to do for the past 11 months. For those of you who know me know I can drink with the best of them, beer, wine, vodka...I don't really have a personal favorite. But since I had Hudson my drinking days have been very minimal. It's just not worth having a hangover the next morning when you have a child as an alarm clock.
So, after saying all this is the breast really the best? For some people it is, and for some it definitely is not. Every mom knows what is best for them and their child. Don't let those tuna mouthed nurses stick your breast where you don't want it. Being a mom is awesome no matter what kind of milk you feed your baby.

2 comments:

The Traveling Courvilles said...

I'm a big fan of "what's best for you and your family" is best. My Mom, who shall remain nameless : ) was and is a staunch supporter of "breast is best" and was like a charter member of La Leche League back in the day. What she thought about my breast-feeding really colored my decisions at first. Then I realized, it was my decision and mine only. I liked breast-feeding for lots of reasons and bottle feeding for lots of reasons too. Sometimes I miss breast-feeding a little, but I wouldn't go back. I think, whatever you decide, own it.

tms said...

Oh darling. Whatever works for you. My mom didn't breast feed me or my brother (she had to get back to work ASAP) and look at how genius we are. Don't let the chorus of the breast feeding league make you feel guilty. 48 months is ridiculous!! I don't care who you are, and really freaking weird to boot. My kids got the tit for 4 months each. I don't regret it one little bit. It's really damn nice to give the bottle and go to bed. Love ya, just remember Jorge will do his share when you head back to work. : )

Post a Comment

Enter you comment here.