Sunday, September 5, 2010

Transformation

Six and a half years ago I was fresh out of college and in no hurry to find a "real" job and grow up. I started waiting tables at a Tex Mex restaurant, Chuys, and met a Sexy Mexy. I flirted with him (at least that is what he'll tell you). He swears it was all me and that he didn't even think I was that cute...granted I was about 20 pounds heavier and he didn't really appreciate my "white girl dancing." We worked hard and partied harder. We drank and smoked ( wacky tabaccy that is...okay that part was just me) and then drank some more. Every night we would go to Molly's Pub, Rookies, or someone's apartment. Neither one of us wanted a relationship but we sure did enjoy each others company (He was a great kisser)! We couldn't keep our hands off of each other. I/we never thought anything would come of our "relationship."
I worked at Chuys for about 6 months until I got fired, yes fired...can you believe that? I asked someone why they didn't tip me and the management frowned upon that sort of behavior. Anyway, I got my first real job teaching and moved to Kingwood. Jorge decided to start staying the night with me and he never left....6 and a half years later here we are. We have had some successes over the years, college degrees, a marriage, cars, houses, and the biggest one-KIDS!! Who am I? Definitely not the same girl he met back in 2004. Our weekends use to be going to bars, movies (late movies), friend's houses, staying up all night.
Now? Hmm....he's on the computer all night (working) and I am in bed by ten o'clock (sometimes nine). We lost a lot of our friends. It's hard to have friends who don't have kids. Your list of places to go changes from bars to zoos, shopping malls to actually shop to which one has the best play area. A leisure trip to Target to a "let's play a game to see how fast I can get out of this store before my kids drive me crazy!!" A nice sit down restaurant to which one has a good kid's menu and short wait. All of our close friends who have kids live in Baytown, Austin, Dallas, Wylie....anywhere but here. My close friends who don't have kids live in Oklahoma and Colorado. We haven't tried to travel with 2 small kids yet, but when we do I'm sure it will be interesting. We went from not being able to keep our hands off each other to pecks on the lips. Is sex spontaneous with 2 small children? What do you think? Would I change a thing? No, we have grown as people and as parents. We have two little ones who look up to us and love us unconditionally. Being a parent is the only job without training or pay and it's the best "job" in the world. Jorge and I love each other more than we did 6.5 years ago and we have created the most beautiful caring children anyone could ask for. We have transformed into mommy and daddy and have been extremely blessed.

2 comments:

Piper said...

Love this! Very true about the part about creating beautiful children who look up to you. Glad Wylie was mentioned in there too! :-)

Unknown said...

Are we the friends without kids in CO? Hope so - I love a good shout out. You, Jorge, Hudson, and Mia are always welcome in our home. In fact, if you want to introduce the kids to skiing, the younger the better. They will make us look like complete assholes as they fly down the mountain whipping in and out of trees.

Post a Comment

Enter you comment here.